“The very first decisions made on the playing/practice field when a concussion is suspected can make the difference between a good outcome and a disaster.”
Concussion management begins the moment a concussion is suspected.
- First check the ABCs (Airway, Breathing, Consciousness) first to rule out more severe injury and before moving an individual to the sidelines.
- A decision is made: to the sideline or to the hospital
- An evaluation by a medical professional (family physician, pediatrician or sports medicine physician) knowledgeable in the identification and management of concussion; will determine whether or not a concussion has occurred.
- The management plan is determined by the physician and conveyed to parents and the school (when appropriate).
- When symptoms linger referrals to a neurologist, physical therapist, neuropsychologist and others may be suggested.
- The Return to Play protocol may begin AFTER all cognitive symptoms have resolved.’