Are you comfortable with your knowledge of concussion?
– Community based sports are included in the New Jersey Concussion Law.
– Sideline evaluation tools that can help you.
– The protocol for community based sports.
– You don’t need to be hit in the head to have a concussion.
– The Brain Injury Alliance of New Jersey can provide educational information for parents, and workshops for coaches and officials.
– Check for basic life support – ABCs!
– Check for loss of consciousness or cervical spinal injury.
– Decide whether or not to move the player to the sideline.
– Don’t leave the player alone-monitor every five minutes.
– Document what happened and give this information to parents–it will help the physician with diagnosis.
– FOLLOW UP! Insist on a note from a physician before you allow the player back to competition or practice.