– A multidisciplinary approach
– Monitoring over time with information from home and school
– Knowing when to make referrals and which professionals are most appropriate to treat specific symptoms
– An appropriate return to school plan
– Communicate with family, student and school regarding progress
– Follow up
Concussions that are not properly evaluated and managed can complicate recovery and prolong symptoms.
- ACE Post-Concussion Home/School Instructions: This instruction sheet for clinicians to provide to parents provides information on concussion signs and symptoms, keys to recovery, and information on returning to daily activities, school and play.
- Steps for Parents to Monitor a Concussion: Recording certain facts and early symptoms of a concussion provides clinicians with day-by-day information about symptom manifestation. This form also provides space to record the results of a visit to an emergency department or urgent care practice.
- Traumatic Brain Injury Among Children and Youth: Understanding TBI and One Model State Program (Children’s Safety Network)
- The Management of Traumatic Brain Injury in Children: Opportunities for Action (CDC)