A concussion is a traumatic brain injury caused by
a mechanical force which can be a direct blow to the head, face or neck, or
an indirect blow somewhere else on the body.
Concussions are NOT exclusive to the playing field!
- – A concussion results in immediate chemical changes within the nerve cells of the brain causing short-lived impairment of functioning.
- – There is NO set recovery time–it can take days, weeks or months.
- – Most concussions do NOT involve loss of consciousness.
- – Many concussions are misdiagnosed or NOT diagnosed.
- – Concussions do NOT show up on CT or MRI scan.
- – There is a cumulative effect of multiple concussions.
- – The brain requires adequate time to heal.
- – The risk of second impact syndrome is real.
Accurate documentation of concussion recovery in children’s medical records can provide important information if there are any future concussions.