Concussion causes physical, cognitive and emotional/behavior symptoms that can last days, weeks or months; these symptoms may
interfere with learning.
– have trouble remembering
– have problems with word-finding
– find it difficult putting thoughts into words
– be easily confused
– lose track of time and place
– be slower in thinking, acting, reading and speaking
– have trouble doing more than one thing at a time (listen and take notes)
– have difficulty organizing everyday tasks
– have a problem with fatigue
– Concussions affect mental stamina more than intellectual ability.
– 10 to 20% of concussions can take months to resolve.
– A neuropsychological evaluation may become necessary when the symptoms of a concussion persist.
– A 504 Plan may be advisable to support a student through a long-term recovery from concussion.