Are you comfortable with your knowledge of concussion?
– You don’t need to be hit in the head to have a concussion.
– Mandates in the New Jersey Concussion Law.
– What to do if a concussion is suspected.
– The best ways to prevent concussions.
– Loss of consciousness
– Dazed or blank look
– May move slowly–slow getting up
– Nervous or emotional
– May grab their head
– Check for cervical spinal injury.
– Decide whether or not to move the player to the sideline.
– Don’t leave the player alone-monitor every five minutes.
– Document what happened and give this information to parents–it will help the physician with diagnosis.
– FOLLOW UP! Insist on a note from a physician before you allow the player back to competition or practice.